Steamboat Waybills, page 20
1881 Waybill from the LADY LEE
The sternwheel packet with wooden hull was built at Pittsburg, PA in 1871
Three boilers. Ran in the Carter Line, St. Louis- Red River.
Lengthened to 227 feet in 1881.
Operated in the Star Line, St. Louis-Missouri River trade.
Snagged and san about 2-1/2 miles above Sibley, MO in a big windstorm on March 29, 1882.
Waybill Robert MITCHELL Rubber stamped 12 February 1878
Waybill Robert MITCHELL
Rubber stamped 12 February 1878
Evansville, Indiana Mail Line Wharf Boat
Way's Packet Directory Number 4792
Built Cincinnati,Ohio, 1871 270 x 41 (37 foot floor) x 8
Engines, 24 V2's-8 foot from the ALICE V.
Four boilers, each 40" by 28 feet, two flues
First owned by Captain Henry A. Jones and Thomas Sherlock.
Ran Cincinnati New Orleans, Capt. Richard M Wade
Sold 1874 to Evansville & New Orleans Packet Co., then ran Louisville-New Orleans, Capt Gus Fowler, withGus DuSouchet, clerk.
Then sold to Capt James Paul, entire, who commanded in Cincinnati New Orleans
trade, also Capt. Lew Kates with Frank Stem, clerk.
In latter April 1876 she brought to Cincinnati from New Orleans 315 live alligators
ranging from six inches to 14 feet long.
Captains Dan Moore and Frank Stein bought control in August 1877 and continued her in the trade. Capt. John A. Williamson and M.V. Daly her.
Hit an obstruction and sank at Fox Island, Mississippi River, November 3, 1880
The OUACHITA BELLE came along soon afterwards and sank within 100 yards of the MITCHELL. It was thought that both boats had struck a wheel shaft from the PENNSYLVANIA which had exploded boilers there June 13, 1858.
At time of loss she was entered in the Southern Transportation Co. Raised, returned to Cincinnati, and dismantled.
The Topeka, Kansas Daily Commonwealth, Saturday, May 15, 1880, page 4
Pilot House of the Robert Mitchell Burned
At 11 o'clock this forenoon as a reporter for the COMMONWEALTH was crossing the Suspension Bridge, he saw flames just bursting through the widows of the pilot house on the Robert Mitchell, which was laying on the wharf loading for New Orleans, to depart this evening. Two small streams of water were soon turned on from some steamboat hose, apparently but with little effect. In a few minutes several of the city steam fire engines arrived and two or three large streams from these subdued the flames, and the boat was saved with the loss of the pilot house only - not even the texas was damaged and no water leaked into it or the cabin. No one walking thru the latter would discover that anything unusual had occurred. It is said that the boat will proceed on her trip tonight as advertised.
Waybill Rhodus & Lindsay Commision Merchants
Waybill (blank), no name of steamboat included)
Rhodus & Lindsay Commision Merchants
No. 18 South Commercial Street, St. Louis 1880s
Waybill REVONAH circa 1910 - 1921
Sternwheel Gas boat
Referred to as a "Steamer" on this Waybill that was dated sometime between 1910 & 1919
Built in 1910 at Madison, Indiana.
Replaced when a new boat that was also named REVONAH which was brought out in 1921.
Owned by Turner Brothers; Captain J. Orville Noll and the Williams Brothers.
Ran on the Muskingum & Monongahela rivers.
ORIOLE Sidewheeler Waybill dated 11th November 1869
Waybill dated 11th November 1869
Way's Packet Directory Number 4326:
In 1869 Her hull was built at Murraysville, West Virginia then she was completed at Middleport, Ohio. Parts of the ENERGY were used in building her.
She came out in Gallipolis-Racine trade, Capt. A.J. Branch with Nat Earhart, clerk. In 1871 ran Pomeroy-Ironton, Captain Silas P. Coe (who later built and named a towboat after himself), with Edwin F. Maddy, clerk, his first river job.
Captain T. Spence Sandford was master later, his first command.
Also ran Portsmouth - Gallipolis. There was an ORIOLE in the New Orleans - Lower Coast trade January 1876, Capt. James T. O'Pry, possibly another steamboat, possibly this one.
Waybill from the steamboat OHIO 1882
Sternwheel packet boat
Waybill dated August 1882
Way's Packet Directory Number 4273:
Built at Cincinnati, Ohio in 1879 251x39x5 5
Originally named CLIFTON.
Owned by Cincinnati, Portsmouth, Big Sandy & Pomeroy Packet Co., who ran her 1882, Cincinnati-Pomeroy with Capt. John Livesay, master, and clerks T. Kendall Morgan and C. H. Holloway.
She replaced the OHIO No. 4.
Later ran Cincinnati - Memphis, Captain John Newton, with Harry O. Proctor, clerk.
Sank on the "old mill foundation" while ascending the Louisville Falls, Captain Don Marr, Master in1890. Settled below the K&I bridge along the Kentucky shore, Pink Varble at the wheel. Was loaded deeply at the time and was raised.
Sank February 17,1894, at Cottonwood Point, Missouri.
Sam G. Smith, later an editor of The Waterways Journal, was clerk on her at the time.
With the exception of images credited to public institutions,
everything on this page is from a private collection.
Please contact Steamboats.com for permission for commercial use.*
All captions provided by Dave Thomson, Steamboats.com primary contributor and historian.