Steamboat Waybills, Page 18
Waybill from the H.K. Bedford.
C.P. HUNTINGTON WAYBILL 20TH SEPT 1873
Waybill 20th Sept 1873
Way's Packet Directory Number 0772
Built at Cincinnati, Ohio 1870
147 tons. Ran Pomeroy - Portsmouth, November 1871, Capt. James Newton, master, with C. P. Sheplar, clerk.
In Kanawha River- Gallipolis trade 1872, Capt. J. W. Oakes, master, Wm. B. Donnally, clerk.
In 1874 Cincinnati-New Richmond, Capt. Wm. Riggs, master.
That year was acquired by the Cincinnati, Portsmouth, Big Sandy & Pomeroy Packet Co. They leased her during the spring of 1876 to tow a circus between Cincinnati and Pittsburgh, and ownership was changed to Mary Stone of Michigan. Capt. C.A Bocaletti, Pittsburgh, bought the boat, insured it against sinking, and it burned.
Waybill Portsmouth, Ohio WHARFBOAT 30 Oct 1912
Waybill ARMADILLO 28 Sept 1869
Waybill from the unknown steamboat ARMADILLO 28th Sept 1869 Is not listed in Way's Packet Directory
An incredibly bizarre creature, once seen the Armadillo, is never forgotten.
Armadillos (meaning "little armored one" in Spanish) are New World placental mammals in the order Cingulata. The Chlamyphoridae and Dasypodidae are the only surviving families in the order, which is part of the superorder Xenarthra, along with the anteaters and sloths.
Nine extinct genera and 21 extant species of armadillo have been described, some of which are distinguished by the number of bands on their armor. All species are native to the Americas, where they inhabit a variety of different environments.
Waybill from the AMERICA 1868
Waybill AMERICA 1868 - the year the boat was lost in a collision with the UNITED STATES.
Sidewheel, wooden hull packet
Way's Packet Directory Number 0129
315 X 44 X 7 feet
26's 10 feet., 8 boilers; wheels 38 feet in diameter with 13-1/2 inch buckets
Built in 1866 in Cincinnati, Ohio at the Morton & Startzman boatyard.
Owned by the U.S. Mail Line especially for the Ohio River / Cincinnati-Louisville trade.
1867 April 27th, trial trip, Master, David Whitten
1868 Pilot, Capt. Charles Dufour
1868, December 4th Master and pilot David Whitten
In 1868 on December 4th, above Warsaw, Kentucky at Rayl's Landing, Indiana, the AMERICA collided with the UNITED STATES. Both boats burned and sank. 40 lives were lost, among them Captain David Whitten and pilot Jenkins.
Waybill from the E. HENSLEY 14th September 1871
Sidewheel packet built at Leavenworth, Kansas in 1865 213 tons 141 feet long. Off the lists in 1876
Waybill from September of 1868
Way's Packet Directory 0541
Construction was begun at Belle Vernon, Pennsylvania and completed at Pittsburgh in 1867.
155 x 36 x 5 5 Engines 18's- 5 ft. Three boilers, each 38" by 26 feet.
Her hull was built by L.M. and W.F. Speer Engines by James Rees, boilers by James Thorn.
Entered the Pittsburgh-St. Louis trade by Captain John J. Darragh, Jr. with William Blackstock, clerk. She replaced the FINANCIER that was lost the year before.
In January 1868 she delivered at Marietta, Ohio, six hogsheads of New Orleans sugar consigned to McConnell & Edwards, of McConnelsville, Ohio, the first in seven years since the war started.
She was the first boat through the enlarged Louisville and Portland Canal when it opened in late fall 1870.
Brought New Orleans sugar and molasses to Pittsburgh in February 1871 and that April loaded at Pittsburgh for St Paul and return to St Louis.
Sunk in ice at Cincinnati, February 1872, raised and rebuilt. Struck wreck of the JENNIE HOWELL near Shawneetown, Illinois, while downbound from Cincinnati to Memphis in late August 1873 and was lost with four deaths, at the time she was under the command of Captain Kenston. Billy Shaw, second clerk, had also been second clerk on the JENNIE HOWELL when she sank.
The machinery was salvaged and returned to Cincinnati aboard the JAMES D. PARKER.
Waybill for the WM. DRUHE 1888
Way's Packet Directory Number 5807
Built at Fort Smith, Arkansas in 1885
She operated on the upper Arkansas River
Waybill LOTUS NO. 2 dated 30th August 1882
Lotus No. 2
Waybill dated 30th August 1882
Way's Packet Directory Number 3570
Built at McKeesport, Pennsylvania in 1866
135 x 26 x 4 6 230 tons
She was loading at Pittsburgh announced for New Orleans, June 23, 1866, with Captain Shedden, master.
Owned at New Orleans by Capt. D. D. Daniels who sold her in 1869 to Capt. Thornton E. Jacobs, New Orleans who in turn sold her on May 1870 to J. M. Stone at Mobile, Alabama.
Documented at Apalachicola, Fla., 1896, dismantled 1897.
Waybill dated 1873 at Long Reach, West Virginia
Way's Packet Directory Number 3722
Sternwheel packet Mallie Ragon built at Evansville, Indiana in 1870 for Captain Josh V. Throop and others.
Named for the daughter of F. H. Ragon of the Evansville firm, Ragon, Dickey & Carson.
Ran Nashville-Evansville. She was sold to the upper Ohio and ran Pittsburgh - Wheeling 1873 and in 1875 was there with Captain J. W. Williamson & H.C. Caldwell, clerk.
In the Spring of 1876 she was back with Captain Charles Muhleman in charge and with Kirker in the office. Entered Wheeling-Parkersburg trade January 1877, taking place of the COURIER which was running Wheeling-Cincinnati. Got stranded on gravel bar at Baresville (Hannibal), Ohio May 1878, and remained for a month or more.
She was beached on shore at Wheeling after an ice gorge let go on January 22,1881, and suffered much damage. Soon thereafter was bought by George Strecker and the Rodick brothers, Marietta, who dismantled her and used the engines on a towboat named SUCCESS.
Packet boat, Alabama River
Waybill Sept 5th 1882
Way's Packet Directory Number 3783
Built at Jeffersonville, Indiana in 1873
for Captain John Quill who took her
to the Alabama River in September of that year.
176.2 x 32.5 x 4
She was still listed at Mobile in 1886
Waybill LULA PRINCE 21 Nov 1897 and a photo of the cabin of the LULA PRINCE
Waybill from 21 Nov 1897 with photo of gents around a table in the cabin of the LULA PRINCE.
The gent in the foreground has pen in hand with a bunch of printed documents that he appears to have been filling out. Could he have been a clerk filling out waybills for the boat or a salesman selling shares of stock or levee bonds to investors in the cabin?
Way's Packet Directory Number 3643
Built at Brownsville, Pennsylvania., 1891
Ran Natchez-Bayou Sara
Owned by Capt. Thomas Prince, R.F Learned, and others, three round trips a week.
Sank in the spring of 1897 and was towed by the ALICE BROWN to Madison, Indiana, to be completely rebuilt.
In later years the PRINCE was commanded by Captain Charles Pfaffenbach who had previously been her first clerk.
She sank at 3:00 P M , May 18, 1899 at Fish Pond Landing, on the lower Mississippi. The tugs LIZZIE B. and THOMAS HEIDEL came to assist but were too late.
The BETSY ANN made her maiden trip in the trade that same week.
With the exception of images credited to public institutions,
everything on this page is from a private collection.
Please contact Steamboats.com for permission for commercial use.*
All captions provided by Dave Thomson, Steamboats.com primary contributor and historian.