Steamboat Waybills, Page 16
1882 waybill - City of New Orleans
Way's Packet Directory
Built by Howard at Jeffersonville, Indiana in 1881
290 feet x 48 feet x 8.5 feet
Between 1885 and 1891 her captain was A.J. Carter with Archie Woods, clerk. By 1896, A.S. Lightner had become captain, with J.W. Langlois as clerk.
Brought under her own steam in May 1898 to Harmar, Ohio, where she was dismantled at the Knox Boat Yard, and much of her equipment used for the CITY OF PITTSBURG which operated 1898-1902 before being lost to fire.
[WITH CABINET PHOTO OF THE STEAMBOAT AT A LANDING FROM DAVE THOMSON'S COLLECTION.]
2 Waybills from the steamboat REGULAR in May 1884
Regular Sidewheel Packet
Way's Packet Directory Number 4711
Built at Wheeling, West Virginia in 1884 using hull and machinery of SCIOTO. Was entered in the Wheeling- Marietta trade that year, Capt. T.S. Thomas, with T.J. Martin, clerk. The venture was not successful. She was loaded with 2,500 barrels of potatoes and sent off to Cairo, Illinois. New owners dismantled her.
Telegraph Sidewheel packet
Waybill from 21 April 1887
Way's Packet Directory Number 5320
TELEGRAPH built at Cincinnati, Ohio, 1877. 287 x 41.2 x 5.1. Engines, 22's- 8 ft.
Three boilers, each 47" by 30 ft., five flues each.
She was built on a new hull, and the cabin of the former TELEGRAPH was lifted over on it, probably using the old engines.
Owned by the Cincinnati, Big Sandy & Pomeroy Packet Co.
Capt. James Campbell was master & George Damron, chief engineer
Her fastest time Cincinnati to Pomeroy was 22 hours 26 minutes run on Jan. 1, 1878. It was a regular business trip making all landings en route, with eight feet on the Cincinnati marks. In 1887 a blacksmith at Augusta, Kentucky named James Hafer, made a brass cannon for this boat, about 30" long and 2" bore, the carriage having 30" wheels. His son James Hafer, Jr., later made a similar cannon for the CITY OF LOUISVILLE. It later was used on the GORDON C. GREENE and today is in the Ohio River Museum, Marietta. This TELEGRAPH was taken to Harmar, Ohio, and dismantled at the Knox Boat Yard in 1891. The hull was used as the wharfboat at Vevay, Indiana.
Waybill Steamer LULU
November 20th, 1876
One bale of cotton sold by McCaw for Baker, Lawler & Co. on the account of Hearst & Dennis
Received Mobile, Alabama November 25th 1876
Waybill from the EMMA No. 2
April 29th - May 4th, 1869
Emma No. 2 Sternwheel packet boat
Way's Packet Directory Number 1821
Built at Freedom, Pa., 1862. 156.7 x 33.7 x 5.
Engines, 16's 5 feet. Two boilers, each 40" diameter by 26 feet.
Hull by McKaskey & Kerr, and engines by Robert Lea.
Capt. James H. Maratta was first master, with James Dunlap as clerk.
Was in the Memphis-White River run in spring 1864, Capt. Millard. She brought the machinery from the burned DES ARC to Cincinnati in July 1864 and appeared "considerably tattered and torn."
Then ran Vicksburg-Yazoo River 1866, Capt. John O. Page, connecting with FASHION and GENERAL QUITMAN, New Orleans. In 1868 went to New Orleans, owned by John B. Ludgate, with Capt. William Bowen, master. She was taken to Mobile soon after.
Waybill B.T. ENOS 10 December 1887
B.T. ENOS Sternwheel packet
Way's Packet Directory Number 0425
Built at Ironton, Ohio in 1881 by the Brown brothers for the Gallipolis-Huntington trade but was sold upon completion to the Bay Line which entered her in the same trade.
150 x 23 x 4 feet.
Sank and lost at Limeville, Kentucky above the present day location of the C & O bridge at Sciotoville, Ohio on the Ohio River in November 1892.
GEORGE STRECKER Sternwheel Packet
Way's Packet Directory Number 2308
Built at Long Reach, West Virginia in 1880
127.6 x 23.8 x 3.9
Ran Marietta-Beverly 1885-1886 owned by Captain Seldon S. Stowe
Ran Marietta-Middleport, September 1886.
Burned at Beverly in 1887 apparently in December sometime after the waybill above was issued on December 2nd.
There is evidence that Captain W.D. Crammond of Hawesville, Kentucky, operated her.
The STRECKER's three-chime whistle was installed on the pilot house of the BEN HUR when that steamboat was built in 1887. The whistle had been made by a mechanically-minded farmer who lived above Waverly, West Virginia
VIRGIE RATLIFF Sidewheel batwing steamboat
Way's Packet Directory Number 5588
Built Catlettsburg, Kentucky 1887
113 x 15 x 4.3 feet
The hull was built on the river bank at Guyandotte, West Virginia.
Built by Captain John Hopkins for the Big Sandy trade
CLARIBELL Sternwheel Packet
Waybill dated Sept 1st, 1886
Way's Packet Directory Number 1170
Built Point Pleasant, West Virginia 1880
100 x 18.8 x 2.6 feet
There is evidence that the hull was built at Buffalo, West Virginia.
Ran Buffalo - Point Pleasant - Gallipolis. In 1882 here crew was in the charge of Capt. F.A. Barrows, with Austin Barrows, clerk.
In the Spring of 1898 she was running Parkersburg - Gallipolis, Capt. Charles F. Stalder, Master, with F.L. Barrows Engineer.
She was dismantled in 1898 and the NEVA was built to replace her.
Luella Sternwheel Packet
Waybill dated 20 August 1886
Way's Packet Directory Number 3639
Built at Mason City, West Virginia, 1875. 105 x 18 x 3 feet.
She ran Syracuse-Gallipolis daily, Capt. M.H. Brown with M.E. Brown, clerk.
During the Brown ownership they once had her in the Cairo-Paducah trade in opposition to the Fowler Line.
They sold her February 1881 to Capt. C.H. Crow, Capt. W.H. McKay and W.W. Hayman for $5,000.
These gentlemen put her in the Ravenswood-Middleport trade. Still documented 1888.
NORA BELLE Sternwheel Packet
Waybill dated August 1886
Way's Packet Directory Number 4222
Built Chambersburg, OHIO 1883
114 x 20.6 x 3.6 feet
Ran Gallipolis - Huntington.
Named for the daughter of J.M. Kerr, Gallipolis hardware merchant.
Also ran in the Kanawha River
Waybill W.D. JONES 12 October 1887
There is no listing for a boat named W.D. JONES per se but there is a towboat named Wm. D. JONES listed by Fred Way and "All towing done . . ." is mentioned on this waybill.
WM. D. JONES Sternwheel towboat
Waybill from W.D. JONES dated 12 October 1887
Way's Steam Towboat Directory Number T2655
Built at Catlettsburg, Kentucky 1882
99.4 x 11.8 x 2.3 feet
Registered at Cincinnati through 1896 and possibly after that year.
Waybill written on June 7, 1879 for deck passage from Greenville for $1.00
Way Directory Number 5125
Built at Jeffersonville, Indiana in 1872.
She was entered in the Evansville-Nashville trade with Captain Josh V. Throop, master, and George Throop, clerk.
Named for Colonel Silverthorn, river editor of the Evansville JOURNAL.
In 1877 she was owned by the Evansville, Cairo & Memphis Steam Packet Company, Captain George S. Throop, with Sid Humphrey, clerk. Was running Memphis-Hales Point in January of 1880.
Sold to New Orleans fall of 1883. She was returned to Paducah in the summer of 1883, given cotton guards and went back south.
C.P. Huntington Sternwheel Packet
(Waybill from September 1873)
Way's Packet Directory Number 0772
Built in Cincinnati, Ohio 1870. 147 tons.
Ran Pomeroy- Portsmouth, November 1871, Capt. James Newton, master with C.P. Sheplar, clerk.
In Kanawha River- Gallipolis trade 1872, Capt. J.W. Oakes, master, Wm. B. Donnally, clerk.
In 1874 Cincinnati-New Richmond, Capt. Wm. Riggs, master.
That year was acquired by the Cincinnati, Portsmouth, Big Sandy & Pomeroy Packet Co.
They leased her spring 1876 to tow a circus between Cincinnati and Pittsburgh, and ownership was changed to Mary Stone of Michigan.
Capt. C.A. Bocaletti, Pittsburgh, bought the boat, insured it against sinking, and it burned.
City of Portsmouth Sidewheel packet
Waybill from 31 May 1879
Way's Packet Directory 1125
Built at Cincinnati, Ohio, 1873.
Built for Capt. William Stricklett and raised steam for the first time Dec. 15, 1873.
She tried running opposition to FANNIE DUGAN out of Portsmouth, Oh., but on Mar. 25, 1874
was sold to the White Collar Line, Cincinnati.
They ran her Cincinnati- Augusta-Higginsport, Capt. S.W. Morgan.
She was forced ashore at California, Ohio on January 1877, by ice, and drifted to Cincinnati, Ohio when the gorge broke, unhurt.
With the exception of images credited to public institutions,
everything on this page is from a private collection.
Please contact Steamboats.com for permission for commercial use.*
All captions provided by Dave Thomson, Steamboats.com primary contributor and historian.