Steamboat Photo Gallery
11 x 29 inch felt pennant S.S. DELTA QUEEN circa 1950's
DQ starboard at a landing
Scanned from an undated 8 x 10 print of the DQ at an unknown landing
DELTA QUEEN at MARIETTA, OHIO
DELTA QUEEN ON THE OHIO RIVER
11 X 13 INCH BLACK & WHITE PRINT ON POSTER BOARD.
TAKEN IN THE LATE 1950'S OR EARLY 1960'S.
THE DELTA QUEEN WAS MOORED AT MARIETTA, OHIO FOR A SHORT VISIT. THE BRIDGE IN THE BACKGROUND IS THE OLD MARIETTA, OHIO TO WILLIAMSTOWN, WEST VIRGINIA BRIDGE.
Fireproofing the Delta Queen Steamboat 1971 - photo by Bill Muster.
Interesting head on photo of the SPEED from the La Crosse collection.
Way's Packet Directory Number 5162
Built in 1886 at Stillwater, Minnesota as the VERNE SWAIN, became the SPEED in 1900.
Ran on the Barren, the Green and the Ohio rivers.
Originally ran Peoria-La Salle. The Lyon Brothers of Greenville, Mississippi ran short trades with her. Captain Bewley bought her in 1911 and took her to the Green River. She sank once, almost up to the roof, at Spottsville, Kentucky.
In 1919 Captain Tanner swapped the HAZEL RICE for her. He ran her in the Gallipolis-Huntington trade about three weeks and quit. She was the final boat in that run. The Louisiana-Arkansas Barge Service of Monroe, Louisiana dismantled her around 1932.
U.S. Snagboat Montgomery
Press release photo from the Mobile Press Register dated 3 April, 1961
From U.S. Corps of Engineers MOBILE DISTRICT website:
U.S. Snagboat Montgomery A NATIONAL LANDMARK
The Department of the Interior designated the U.S. Snagboat Montgomery a National Historic Landmark in June of 1989. Serving as one of the last steam-powered sternwheelers to ply the inland waterways of the South, the Montgomery's impressive history involved seven of the South's navigable rivers. Beginning on the Coosa and the Alabama rivers from 1926 to 1933, crews used her derrick and grapple to remove snags and debris from the river channels. In 1933, she was transferred to the Black Warrior and Tombigbee rivers. Her final work stations were the Apalachicola, Chattahoochee, and Flint rivers in Florida, Alabama, and Georgia, where she served until her retirement in 1982.
The Montgomery was one of the hardest-working snagboats in the Southeast. She was commissioned by the Montgomery District COE and built in 1926 by the Charleston Dry Dock and Machine Company of Charleston, South Carolina. The boat was based in Montgomery until 1933, when the Montgomery District became part of the Mobile District, and the boat was moved to her new home port of Tuscaloosa. However, she continued to work the waters of the Coosa River system, adding the Black Warrior-Tombigbee Rivers to her responsibilities. The Montgomery pulled snags from these river systems until 1959, when she was transferred to Panama City, Florida. She worked on the Apalachicola, Chattahoochee, and Flint rivers from 1959 for the rest of her career, though her home port was transferred from Panama City to White City, Florida in 1979.
The Montgomery is a riveted steel sternwheel-propelled vessel with a steel hull and wood superstructure. The overall length, including the sternwheel, is approximately 54 meters (178 feet), while the maximum width is approximately 10 meters (34 feet). The depth of the hold is 1.8 meters (6 feet). The Montgomery has three decks. The propelling and snagging machinery, crew quarters, and the engine room are located on the main deck. The second deck contains the galley, officers' quarters, and an office; and the pilothouse at the top of the boat contains controls for the snagging boom and engine room. The boom is operated by two large steam winches; one turns the boom in an arc in front of the boat while the other lifts the snag. The Montgomery still has its original Scotch boiler, which created steam to power the boat. Water was heated inside a cylinder within the boiler. The steam produced by the boiler was extracted from the top of the boiler and passed through the main steam line overhead to the engine room in the stern. The boiler originally burned coal, but was converted to burn fuel after World War II. The engines are high-pressure, or non-condensing, joy valve engines; and the paddlewheel is constructed of steel and wood and is 5.5 meters (18 feet) in diameter and 6 meters (20 feet) long. One interesting feature of the Montgomery is the telegraph machine located in the engine room. The machine has a dial with a hand that points to different possible engine room actions and is the way the pilot originally communicated with the engineers; a similar telegraph is located in the pilot house.
In early November 1964, the Montgomery assisted in raising the remaining section of the Confederate Gunboat Chattahoochee from the channel of the Chattahoochee River. The activities are recorded in the Master Fleming's daily log: "Picking up stern section of Gunboat and Removing it from channel. While picking up Gunboat and trying to work it on the bank some of the upper sections of the boom were sprung." Today the Confederate Gunboat Chattahoochee can be seen at the Port Columbus National Civil War Naval Museum in Columbus, Georgia.
Steam-powered boats, like the Montgomery, dominated transportation and commerce for most of the nineteenth and early twentieth centuries; however, river transportation began experiencing competition from railroads as early as the mid-nineteenth century. The continuing explosion of transportation technology in the twentieth century, including interstate highways, automobiles, trucks, and airplanes, eventually spelled the end of steam-powered boats. When the Corps of Engineers retired the Montgomery on 8 November 1982, she was one of only two snagboats remaining in the United States. On her final day of service, the Captain wrote of the Montgomery in his log: "Me and [the crew] are very sad this day!! This boat has been a workhorse of the tri-rivers."
In 1984, the Mobile District of the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers awarded a contract for extensive restoration work on the Montgomery. This work included replacing old material with new, sandblasting the entire hull and coating it with five layers of paint, and draining and cleaning the diesel fuel bunkers. After her first restoration, the Montgomery was moored at the Tom Bevill Visitor Center, Pickensville, Alabama. Visitors could tour the boat, reliving her days on the South's rivers.
The Montgomery has another claim to fame. In 1984, the Montgomery was used as a set in the television movie Louisiana, which starred Margot Kidder, Ian Charleson, Victor Lanoux, and Andréa Ferréol. In the movie, the Montgomery is repainted and modified to resemble an ante-bellum passenger sternwheeler. However, the Montgomery has an unfortunate end in the movie; during a riverboat race, the sternwheeler explodes.
Beginning in the early 21st century, the Mobile District realized that exposure to river traffic and environmental factors were causing irreparable harm to this National Historic Landmark. They made the decision to remove her from the Tennessee - Tombigbee Waterway. On 2 October 2003, the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, Mobile District, with the assistance of two derrick barges lifted the Montgomery on a specially-designed cradle and placed her in a dry mooring basin beside the lovely Tom Bevill Visitor Center.
In late 2003, a maintenance plan was developed for restoration of the Montgomery. In early 2004, extensive restoration began. Contractors under the direction of USACE's Tennessee-Tombigbee Regional office, removed and replaced rotting decking, painted all exterior and interior surfaces, and replaced the pilot house windows and framing, along with numerous other tasks.
The History Workshop, a division of Brockington and Associates, Inc., developed a new interpretive plan that includes this website, new interpretive panels on the boat and the surrounding walkway, educational materials, a touch screen kiosk, video presentations, and two brochures.
All of this work culminated with a Grand Re-Opening and Restoration Celebration on 28 October 2004. After an early morning tour of the restored boat, Former Master Cleve Fleming cut the ribbon reopening the Montgomery to the public. That afternoon, sixth graders from Pickens County were among the first to tour this restored sternwheeler. Today, the U.S. Snagboat Montgomery, a National Historic Landmark, is one of two remaining steam-powered sternwheel snagboats in the United States. Please come to Pickensville and see her for yourself.
Snagboat DAVID TIPTON circa 1904 - 1923 hard at work
Way's Packet Directory Number 1471
Built at Jeffersonville, Indiana in 1900 by Howard Ship Yards, under the name Col. A. MACKENZIE; renamed DAVID TIPTON circa 1904
Owned by the U.S. Engineering Department
Her skipper, Captain David Tipton, died at the wheel of the MACKENZIE on Lake Pepin, near Reads Landing, Minnesota September 22, 1904 and the boat was renamed in his honor. The U.S. Engineers operated her on the upper Mississippi River until 1920. Captain Frank Martin was her last master. She was sold at public sale conducted at Rock Island, Illinois, to Meyer Katz, St. Louis, and John F. Klein, Pittsburgh. In late 1923 she was sold to two Memphis, Tennessee railroad men, named Peel and Bachelor; who renamed her URSIE BOYCE. She was converted to a packet and put in the Memphis-White River trade and later became the CITY OF CAIRO.
Percy Ruby pilot, circa 1912
Levi King, Jr. chief engineer, 1916
Charles De Lisle pilot, March 1917
Promotional photo of the NATCHEZ at New Orleans
The attached scan of a promotional poster for the NATCHEZ (printed at 6 x 8 inches on fabric)
NATCHEZ on the Mississippi at New Orleans by John Darré
Beautiful color photo of the NATCHEZ on the Mississippi at New Orleans by John Darré. 12 x 24 inch canvas print mounted on substantial wooden stretcher bars, great for display. A worthwhile acquisition.
John Darré Fine Art
New Orleans, Louisiana
On Etsy since 2013
Sacto River "STANLEY STEAMER" sternwheeler belongs to John Lucas
32nd Sacramento River Delta
Photo by John Woodson
Sternwheel River Steamer S.L. LAUREN from Sacramento - John Lucas with crew members Jenny & Pancho
Quarter Boat, small barge filled with fire wood (?) in a narrow card in the vicinity of St. Louis, MO
The attached unusual real photo post card is of two working men standing in a small barge which is full of what could have been firewood to feed the furnace under the boilers on a steamboat. Behind the men on the mini-barge can be seen the main deck of what must have been a two story "Quarter Boat" where crew members had their meals and slept on beds or bunks. The body of water the barge and Quarter Boat are floating in is narrow so it was probably a canal and on the back of the card is written St. Louis, MO. Historians of the city might offer some theories as to where this canal was located.
With the exception of images credited to public institutions,
everything on this page is from a private collection.
Please contact Steamboats.com for permission for commercial use.*