Steamboat Photo Gallery
Excursion Steamer W.W. at Bellevue, Iowa
Attached taken of the W.W. with the Riverfront Park at Bellevue, Iowa
W. W. (Excursion boat, 1905-1922)
Sternwheeler built as the City of Winona in 1882 at Dubuque, Iowa
Owned by Captain John Streckfus (1905); Captain Frank T. Rounds (1917); John F. Klein (1920) and Captain Ralph Emerson Gaches (1921)
Operated on the Mississippi; Ohio and Cumberland Rivers
From Fred Way's entry Number 5666:
Renamed the W.W. in 1905 in honor of Captain Walter Wisherd. The W.W. and the J.S. were popular excursion boats on the upper Mississippi River. Captain Rounds bought the W.W. in 1917 to replace the Golden Girl. She ran excursions and in the summer of 1918 was in Nashville, Tennessee. In 1920 owner John Klein used her to tow barges loaded with pipe from the upper Ohio to the lower Mississippi. In 1921 she was bought by Captain Gaches who used her to tow his showboat. The show was boycotted at one point by people of of Crown Hill, West Virginia who assumed that the name of the boat, "W.W.", stood for Woodrow Wilson. Captain Gaches replied that the initials stood for "Western Waters" and so the show went on. The W.W. was lost in a windstorm at the head of Brush Creek Island on the Ohio River in the spring of 1922.
Sternwheeler WARREN New Orleans levee 1880 -1897
1st: "Cotton on the levee, New Orleans"
Detroit Publishing Co. No. 08117
William Henry Jackson photographer
published between 1880 and 1897
from 5 x 7 inch glass negative
Library of Congress collection
2nd: "On the levee, New Orleans"
Detroit Publishing Co. No. 08123
William Henry Jackson photographer
published between 1880 and 1897
from 5 x 7 inch glass negative
Library of Congress collection
Way's Packet Directory Number 5697
Built in 1882 at Cincinnati, Ohio
New Orleans and Washington Packet Company
Cotton carrier with a capacity of 2,800 bales; running New Orleans, Atchafalaya River, and Washington trade circa 1885-1889
Captain Max Kenison (master, 1885, 1889); J. C. Bergeron (clerk, 1885); Eugene Quatrevous (clerk, 1889)
Sternwheeler NUBIA on the Nile near Bedrashen, Egypt
Undated photo of a sternwheeler on the River Nile near Bedrashen, Egypt. Undated. The name on the side of the housing covering the paddlewheel appears to be NUBIA.
The paddlesteamer Pyap was built at Mannum in South Australia in 1896
ABOUT THE P.S. (PADDLE STEAMER) "PYAP"
Pioneer Settlement - Rides & Cruises
Cruise the mighty Murray River aboard the PS Pyap. One hour cruises depart from the Pioneer Settlement wharf each day, taking you upriver past the Riverside Caravan Park, Murray Downs Marina and the historic Murray Downs Homestead.
The paddlesteamer Pyap was built at Mannum in South Australia in 1896.
Despite her great size - she is almost 30 meters long and 4.8 meters wide - she has a very shallow draft which means she can float in less than a meter of water.
In her early days she was used a floating general store. She travelled the lower Murray River, stopping at small towns and farm stations along the way.
Inside, she had a serving counter, a store section and a separate drapery at the rear of her lower deck. The crew slept on the upper deck.
The PS Pyap travelled 500 kilometers each week selling goods to settlers at over 60 settlements and landing places along the river.
Cruise the mighty Murray River aboard the PS Pyap.
One hour cruises depart from the Pioneer Settlement wharf each day, taking you upriver past the Riverside Caravan Park, Murray Downs Marina and the historic Murray Downs Homestead.
Cruises are daily at 2.30pm. On weekends, public holidays and Victorian school holidays, an extra cruise also departs at 10.30am.
Boarding of the Pyap is via a ramp and at times depending on river levels can become quite steep which some visitors may find it difficult to manage.
Please note cruises are unavailable each February as the Pyap undergoes maintenance.
Set on three hectares of land on the banks of the Little Murray River, the Pioneer Settlement lets you experience Australian history first hand.
You will find real-life Mallee cottages, a hotel, schools and shops, plus our enormous collection of working tractors and machinery - sourced mostly from the local area. You can feel the heat in the blacksmith shop, listen to the sounds of the old Pianola or take a ride through our Mallee township on a horse and cart. As you wander the site, you can also chat to our staff and volunteers, all looking the part in costumes of the period. The Pioneer Settlement opened in 1966 after a joint community and government effort to recognize the unique history of our Murray Mallee region. By the 1970s, the Pioneer Settlement was one of the most popular tourism destinations in Victoria, if not Australia, and the concept has been emulated around the country. The Settlement is now introducing more ground-breaking tourism concepts to complement the historical Mallee townships. The Heartbeat of the Murray Experience will include a laser light show that, in a world-first, will combine modern laser technology with the natural river environment. It will tell the story of the Murray region from prehistoric times until today.
Elevation drawings of Twin Sternwheels on the ETOBE 1910 for service in Nigeria
Just arrived today from the UK . . . in a 1910 issue of and Engineering journal.
The "River Queen" with twin sternwheels was very likely based upon these drawings of the ETOBE for the 1940 movie SAFARI which was filmed on Baldwin Lake in the Los Angeles County Arboretum.
From Grace's Guide to British Industrial History:
McKie and Baxter of Copland Works, Glasgow.
1896 Founded by James Archibald McKie and Peter MacLeod Baxter
1910 Made the compound the non-condensing engine, boiler and feathering paddle wheels for the sternwheeler ETOBE for service in Northern Nigeria. Vessel built by Ardrossan Dry Dock and Shipbuilding Co. whose history according to Grace's Guide was as follows:
1842 The firm of Barr and Shearer was established in 1842 at Ardrossan, North Ayrshire, Scotland by John Barr and James Shearer
1870s Changed its name to Ardrossan Shipbuilding Co
1891 it acquired limited liability, as Ardrossan Dockyard Ltd, but was dissolved eight years later, at which time a successor company, the Ardrossan Dry Dock & Shipbuilding Co Ltd was incorporated.
1899 the name was changed to the Ardrossan Dry Dock and Shipbuilding Co. The yard was also expanded up to five berths in 1916 and the number of employees was 2,300.
The COTTON QUEEN steamboat mock-up at Disney World's EPCOT 1982 to 1996
The WORLD OF MOTION at Walt Disney World EPCOT sponsored by General Motors, was the former tenant of the Transportation pavilion at EPCOT (Experimental Prototype Community of Tomorrow) in Orlando, Florida. It was an opening day attraction at EPCOT Center in 1982 and closed in 1996.
The steamboat COTTON QUEEN mock-up seen during the ride-through was supposed to demonstrate "the evolution of steam" and featured an audio animatronic roustabout pulling the rope connected to a stubborn mechanical donkey on a wharf at a landing somewhere along the Lower Mississippi.
by Jennifer Fickley-Baker, Editorial Content Manager
Walt Disney World Resort
Thu, October 15, 2015
"Although it's now just a part of EPCOT's history, World of Motion was one of the park's original attractions that guests flocked to on opening day. The attraction, then sponsored by General Motors, took guests on a time travel journey through the history of transportation - man's foibles and triumphs in designing new vehicles, the age of flight, and the development of the horseless carriage, as well as the transportation trends our culture latched on to like the bicycle, the family Sunday drive, and the summer road trip."
P.S. from Dave: "I don't recall seeing the WORLD OF MOTION during my visit to EPCOT in November 1989 when I was sent down for a week as a consultant to the Florida branch of Walt Disney Studio's Animation studio."
This was part of the Disney-MGM Studios complex of theme parks. Park visitors were able to take a tour of the studio and observe the animators at work. In 1998, the unit moved into a new $70 million faculty. At the studio's height in the mid-1990s, it employed approximately 400 artists and technicians. This branch of the studio was responsible for Mulan (1998), Lilo & Stitch (2002) and Brother Bear (2003), all traditionally hand drawn animated films. Walt Disney Studios closed that branch of the studio in January 2004, putting approximately 250 animators, technicians and other personnel out of work. filmbuffonline.com
Aboard the steamer WASHINGTON
This 6 1/2 x 9 1/2 print of an unknown lady standing in front of the texas cabin with the pilot house above and the portside stack on the right was rubber stamped 27 November, 1936.
The boat's name was readable on the side of the bucket in front of the screen door to the texas cabin.
22 August 1959 steamboat WINNEBAGO Wisconsin Dells
Nice image taken 22 August 1959 of a senior crew member in the foreground holding semaphore flags in order to signal to the pilot of the excursion steamboat WINNEBAGO, full of passengers as it gave a tour of the Wisconsin Dells in central Wisconsin.
Flag semaphore (from the Greek σῆμα, sema, meaning sign and φέρω, phero, meaning to bear; altogether the sign-bearer) is the telegraphy system conveying information at a distance by means of visual signals with hand-held flags, rods, disks, paddles, or occasionally bare or gloved hands. Information is encoded by the position of the flags; it is read when the flag is in a fixed position. Semaphores were adopted and widely used (with hand-held flags replacing the mechanical arms of shutter semaphores) in the maritime world in the 19th century. It is still used during underway replenishment at sea and is acceptable for emergency communication in daylight or using lighted wands instead of flags, at night.
"Paul-L Capsized Oshkosh Wisconsin"
Best of many photos taken of the 1910 capsizing of the PAUL L. at Oshkosh, Wisconsin. I had sent some in the past but don't think any of them are posted anymore. This should join the new category "Mishaps and Disasters" of which we have many photos and also engravings, so please use items from those categories to create the new page.
"Paul-L Capsized Oshkosh Wisconsin" Photograph of the steamboat "Paul L" capsized at Riverside Park, on the Fox River at Oshkosh, Wisconsin.
On May 28, 1910, the Paul L was being unloaded of a cargo of coal, too much was removed on the starboard side and the boat rolled over. No one was hurt, but the cook and the ship's mate were thrown into the river.
The boat was righted by pumping out the water while barges with cranes lifted from the river and tractors from the shore pulled the boat upright.
The "Paul L" was named for Captain Paul Le Fevre's oldest son. The steamer was built in 1907 by the firm Ryan Brothers (George & James) in Oshkosh and had a length of 124' and a beam of 21' it served the Oshkosh to Tustin run on Lake Poygan. It was operated by the Clark & LeFevre Company. The Paul L was sold in 1921 to Harry D. Meyer, R. C. Brown Jr. & J. C. Thompson of Oshkosh, later it was turned into a barge and operated at Appleton, Wisconsin, it sunk in 1923 and was never sailed again. The caption above was derived from Oshkosh Past Perfect online that referred to a different image of the same event.
The GRAHAMONA built in 1912 for the Oregon City Transportation Company
ONE THE BACK OF THE ORIGINAL PHOTO IS WRITTEN THE LOCALE: "ALBANY" - LOCATION OF THAT TOWN AND LANDING AS FOLLOWS:
Photo circa 1912 taken of the GRAHAMONA on the Albany, Oregon landing at the confluence of the Calapooia River and the Willamette River, just east of Corvallis and south of Salem.
U.S. Steamboat registry #210453
Built by Joseph Supple at Portland, Oregon in 1912 for a total cost of $35,000 for the Oregon City Transportation Co., to serve in their Yellow Stack Line. The boat was especially designed to serve on the shallow waters of the upper Willamette River; one of the largest steamboats ever to operate there and later would navigate on both the Columbia and Snake Rivers for the Inland Empire Truck & Boat Co. and the Portland Navigation Co. In 1920 the GRAHAMONA was sold and her name changed to the NORTHWESTERN. In 1939, the vessel was sold again, and transferred to Alaska for service on the Kuskokwim River. By 1949 she was out of service and was abandoned on the riverbank at McGrath, Alaska.
Steamer G. W. HILL 1909 - 1922
G. W. HILL
Way's Packet Directory Number 2188
Sternwheel Packet/Excursion boat
Built in 1909 at Jeffersonville, Indiana by Howard Ship Yards, for the St. Louis-Calhoun County apple trade.
Original price $28,850. Named for Granderson Winfrey Hill of Alexandria, Missouri.
Owned by Captain D.W. Wisherd and Sam Gregory whose home port or residence circa 1909 was St. Louis, Missouri.
Converted into an excursion boat in May 1912. After World War I she commenced tramping to the upper Ohio River, she also went to New Orleans, Pittsburgh, etc. until sold in 1923 after the steamboat fire at Cincinnati, Ohio (November 4, 1922).
Became the ISLAND MAID in 1923.
Captain Walter Wisherd (master)
Captain J.E. Short (pilot)
Captain Trim Wadlington (master)
Captain George L. White (master)
Edgar Wisherd (captain)
John Pierson (pilot)
Harry Wilcox (pilot)
With the exception of images credited to public institutions,
everything on this page is from a private collection.
Please contact Steamboats.com for permission for commercial use.*