Steamboat Waybills, Page 3
Addie E. Faison 1892 waybill with photo Courtesy of La Crosse Steamboat Collection Photographs at the University of Wisconsin - La Crosse
ADDIE E. FAISON
Way's Packet Directory Number 0061
Built in Marietta, Ohio at Knox Yard, 1887
Parts of the old steamer HEADLIGHT were used in the building of the FAISON.
Ran out of Vicksburg, Mississippi to the Yazoo and Sunflower Rivers
Sank and lost at Nelson Landing, Mississippi November 20, 1893
Waybill L. Combs - the LESLIE COOMBS - at Powhatan Point along the Ohio River.
Have concluded that this 1865 waybill for the "L. COMBS" referred to the steamer LESLIE COOMBS:
Way's Packet Directory
Sternwheel packet boat
Built at Madison, Indiana in, 1860 - 199 tons
Ran Cincinnati-Kentucky River, Capt. George Stivors, then Louisville-Madison, spring 1861, same master.
Ran Marietta-Zanesville, Capt. A.B. Crane, early 1862.
Ran Wheeling-Clarington, Capt. Fred Kimpel, 1866.
Went to U.S. marshal sale early 1869 and bought by Clark Hanes, Wheeling, West Virginia.
He resold her to Portsmouth, Ohio, parties in April 1869.
Brought two barges of railroad freight cars Cincinnati to Maysville, Kentucky, June 1871.
Condemned at Ironton, Oh., September 1871, and was beached on the shore of the Kentucky River on April 8, 1872.
Powhatan Point is a village in Belmont County, Ohio, United States, along the Ohio River.
The population was 1,592 at the 2010 census. It is part of the Wheeling, West Virginia Metropolitan Statistical Area.
Way's Packet Directory Number 0349
Built in the Autumn of 1870 at Cincinnati, Ohio
Built for the Memphis and Arkansas River trade, Captain Woodburn.
She had two bridal chambers opposite one another named "Tennessee" and "Arkansas" with beds a trifle high, equipped with short ladders for the bride to climb up.
Built in the autumn of 1870, she got first inspection November 3, 1870 and was sold to the Evansville and Cairo Line, entering that trade December 20, 1870, with Captain G. J. Grammer, master and Nick S. Pennington in the office. She left Evansville at 4:00 P.M., three days a week. She was laid up at Evansville August 1880.
Her machinery was taken out, rebored, and placed on the new H. T. Dexter
Photo Courtesy of Murphy Library at the University of Wisconsin - La Crosse
Steamboat Collection Photographs
One of my favorite waybills. The photograph of the boat leaves much to be desired and will have to suffice until a better copy of it turns up.
"Ch Dog" under freight? Could it have been a "China" (porcelain) "Dog" that they charged a quarter to transport?
Way's Packet Directory Number 4310
Built in 1881 at Harmar, Ohio at Knox Yard
In January, 1895 she was moored at the Juliana Street Bridge in Parkesburg.
She became speared on a piling when the river fell rapidly due to the breaking of an ice gorge at the head of Blennerhassett Island. She rolled over on her side and while being pumped out, she rolled over a second time.
Later, she exploded a boiler while racing another boat at the mouth of Hughes River. The cabin forward of the pilothouse was blown away.
On January 26, 1902 at 7:00am she sank at Creston, West Virginia.
Her hull seams were cut by ice. She was raised and returned to Parkersburg under her own steam and while awaiting her turn at the docks she sank and turned over. She was then dismantled.
Photo Courtesy of Murphy Library at the University of Wisconsin - La Crosse.
Way's Packet Directory 0292;
Built in 1864, Cincinnati, Ohio
Owned by Captain Job Thayer for Charleston-Cincinnati trade.
In October 1864 Captain Fred A. Laidley took charge, his first command, she made a trip to Nashville for the U.S. Engineering Department under his command, Laidley sold his interest in 1867. Captain J.D. Hegler took command, with W.G. Norvell, clerk, and continued her in the trade. She sank in the Kanawha River in June 1869, was raised, and was taken to Malden, West Virginia; while stockholders pondered whether to make needed repairs. Not much was heard about her afterwards.
RPPC from Dave Thomson collection.
Love that name "Quick Step." Terpsichore! With all my superfluosa you could do "spin offs" of your site like the Law and Order producer did with his many series. "An embarrassment of riches." is the operative term here.
EDWARD J. GAY
A splendid boat with a grand pilot house.
Way's Packet Directory 1724
Built in 1878 at Cincinnati, Ohio
Her machinery was from the GOVERNOR ALLEN. She was completed at the Cincinnati Marine Railway Company in July 1878
and towed south by the new J.M. WHITE. Ran her trials at New Orleans that October. Designed for the New Orleans-Bayou Sara trade.
She carried U.S. Mail under contract until January 1880. Her roof bell came from the BRILLIANT that was built in 1850.
Burned at First Street in New Orleans then laid up July 30, 1888.
Way's Packet Directory Number 5881
Built in 1873 at. Jeffersonville, Indiana
She was loaded up at Cincinnati, September 1877 and headed downriver to Vicksburg, Mississippi, to serve in the Patriot Line. She was inspected regularly through 1882 but no specifics are available any later than that.
Photo La Crosse Steamboat Collection Photographs.
Built at Yazoo City, Mississippi, 1893
Way's Packet Directory Number 2041
The FIFTEEN was built on the hull of the GENERAL MILES.
She handled cotton out of the Yazoo River
FIFTEEN was still documented in 1897 but as to her final outcome no account has been uncovered.
Just got this pass for the Muskingum & Ohio River Transport. Co 1906 with graphic of the LORENA. Photo Courtesy of Murphy Library at the University of Wisconsin - La Crosse Steamboat Collection Photographs
I combined it with a detail from my real photo post card of the boat taken on the canal at Lowell, Ohio. Also, stateroom key.
More information about the LORENA:
The LORENA operated on the Ohio River & Muskingum River
She was built in 1895 at Harmar, Ohio at Knox Yard and burned while she was at Point Pleasant, West Virginia in 1916
Owned by Ohio and Mississippi Navigation Company (1912) then Captain Fred Hornbrook (1916)
Captain George Wallace (master, 1896)
George Conant and William Richardson (pilots, 1896)
Captain William Richardson (master, 1908)
Captain Henry Kraft (circa 1914)
Fred Way Packet Directory Number 3560:
The LORENA replaced the HIGHLAND MARY in the Pittsburgh-Zanesville trade at the beginning of her career. The name LORENA came from the title and love interest in a sentimental song popular in the latter half of the 19th Century.
The lyrics were written in 1856 by Rev. Henry D. L. Webster, after a broken engagement. He wrote a long poem about his fiancée but changed her name to "Lorena," an adaptation of "Lenore" from Edgar Allan Poe's poem "The Raven." Henry Webster's friend Joseph Philbrick Webster wrote the music, and the song was first published in Chicago in 1857. It became a favorite of soldiers of both sides during the American Civil War.
The opening lines are familiar to most Americana buffs:
Oh, the years creep slowly by, Lorena,
The snow is on the ground again.
The sun's low down the sky, Lorena,
The frost gleams where the flow'rs have been.
The LORENA was the first boat through the Taylorsville Lock on the Muskingum River in April 1896.
Her trips on the Muskingum ended with the flood of March 1913.
After that she ran Pittsburgh-Parkersburg and, in 1915, she briefly ran Pittsburgh-Cincinnati.
In mid-1915, she damaged her hull at Possum Bar near Clarington, Ohio and was laid up at Pittsburgh.
In early spring 1916 Captain Hornbrook took the LORENA to Point Pleasant, West Virginia for repairs and it was there that she burned on February 2nd of that year.
Photo of the JAMES LEE courtesy of La Crosse Steamboat Photo Collection Steamboat Collection Photographs Stateroom key is part of the Dave Thomson collection, scanned for this exhibit.
Way's Packet Directory Number 2934;
Built at Jeffersonville, Indiana by Howard, 1897
Original price $27,000; built for the Lee Line and ran Memphis-Friar's Point, under Captain John J. Darragh.
October 24, 1910, she went aground at head of Josie Harry Chute, Mississippi River, owing to rapidly falling river; damage estimated at $10,000. A handsome boat, consistently successful, she was converted into an excursion boat at Memphis in 1917 and renamed DeSOTO.
With the exception of images credited to public institutions,
everything on this page is from a private collection.
Please contact Steamboats.com for permission for commercial use.*