Steamboat Documents, Page 14
JOHN L. RHOADS
Way's Packet Directory Number 3086
Built at Pittsburgh, PA. in 1875.
222 x 36 x 5. Engines, 16's- 5 ft.
Three boilers, each 38" by 26 ft.
Built for Capt. John L. Rhoads and others of Pittsburgh.
In May 1878 she had made 28 round trips to St. Louis and two more to New Orleans from Pittsburgh, then commanded by Capt. J.M. Vandergrift with John C. Fisher, clerk.
Sank on the Falls at Louisville, June 1877, raised.
Ran low water, Cincinnati-Madison, fall 1877 Captain Rhoads lived in a white frame atop the hill at Haysville, Pa. still standing 1978.
Capt. David Silver and others bought the RHOADS, renamed her CHAS. C. CARROLL.
One year and seven months after the Steamboat-Inspection Service issued this permit (on May 19th, 1900) to the KANAWHA BELLE for her to carry excursion parties, she was lost in a freak accident on December 19th, 1901 when the pilot "Musty" Snyder came on duty at night assuming the boat was bound upstream. Unbeknownst to "Musty" the boat had been turned around and was now heading back downstream. Mistaking a light on a lock wall for a light on a fleet of coal barges "Musty" steered the boat into the middle of the river where it went over the dam at Lock Number 3 on the Kanawha River. Nine lives were lost and eight were saved. On the cover of this document it is written that it had been returned to the inspectors on December 10, 1900.
Way's Packet Directory, 1848-1983
Sternwheel packet boat
Built in Harmar, Ohio in 1887. Originally named BELLAIRE and was given a cabin and alterations by the Calvert family, on the Kanawha River, renamed, and ran Charleston-Montgomery.
On the night of Dec. 19, 1901, she plunged over the fixed dam No. 3, Kanawha River. Eight were drowned, one died of exposure, and eight were saved.
Capt. E.O. Calvert was in charge, and 'Musty' Snyder was pilot.
The official report says 'the pilot thought he was going upstream.' This odd statement came about inasmuch as the boat had been proceeding to Montgomery, plans were changed, and she was turned back toward Charleston.
'Musty' Snyder came on watch, unacquainted with the switch, and in the darkness thought he was upbound, saw the white light on the lock wall, thought it was on a moored coal fleet, steered out in mid-river to miss it, and went over the dam.
The machinery was salvaged and went on the J. Q. DICKINSON."
Way's Packet Directory Number 5065
1880 at Harmar, Ohio at the Knox Yard
OWNERS: 1880: Pittsburgh & Cincinnati Packet Line; 1895: Captain John Barrett of the Barrett Line of Cincinnati
Officers and crew 1880: Captain Martin F. Noll (master-also known as the "boy captain" at the age of 31), J.A. Voegtly and Willis Stockdale (clerks), S.R. Lankard and John Oliver (engineers)
1883: Captain Frank Maratta (master), Daniel Moore (clerk)
1884: Captain J.M. Kirker (master), Robert H. Kerr (clerk); 1886: George Poe and James Rowley, Jr. (pilots); 1889: Captain John Phillips (master)
Navigated the Ohio; Mississippi and Muskingum Rivers
Originally valued at $25,000+, the Scotia ran the Pittsburgh-Cincinnati trade. Each stateroom bore painted scenes by artist Emil Bott. She also had one of the first electric arc headlights. In May, 1895 she broke her shaft near Portsmouth, Ohio. She was towed back to Cincinnati and sold to the Barrett Line. She was entered into the Cincinnati-Louisville trade, but burned at Cincinnati on November 5, 1895
This January 17th, 1852 waybill from the GRAND TURK is a real rarity. The image is a detail from Hippolyte Sebron's 1850 painting GIANT STEAMBOATS AT NEW ORLEANS which is owned by Tulane University.
Way's Packet Directory Number 2429
Built in 1848 at Freedom, Pennsylvania
First home port, St. Louis, Missouri. She ran Louisville-New Orleans.
Captain Newman Robirds of St. Louis (owner and master); Captain Clayton (master, 1852-53); H. S. Phillips (clerk, 1852-53)
The fire at which she was lost originated on the CHARLES BELCHER at New Orleans on February 6, 1854
JUST IN! BRAN' NEW . . . PHOTO FROM THE MURPH'
Way's Packet Directory Number 0253:
Built in 1919 from the wreck of the LOUCINDA
Owned by the Louisville and Cincinnati Packet Company; Captain Oliver F. Bradford (March 1927)
The ANDES was cheaply built, without skylight in the cabin and other amenities.
Ran Cincinnati-Madison until the big Cincinnati fire in November 1922.
Greene Line Steamers ran her under charter in upriver trades for some time; sold in March 1927 to Captain Oliver F. Bradford in New Orleans.
Sank and was lost while approaching Plaquemine Lock, July 1, 1931.
Original cyanotype (blue "proof print") postcard from my collection, showing Miss Margaret E. Johnston aboard the HENRY M. STANLEY wearing a clumsy looking life vest thatŐs a couple of sizes too big for her.
Cyanotype printing was a photographic process that produced a cyan-blue print. The process uses two chemicals: ammonium iron(III) citrate and potassium ferricyanide
Handwritten waybill in French for bales of cotton transported aboard the "Steam Boat Huntsville" New Orleans, 1834.
The penmanship is accomplished and the signature on the bottom a real work of art in itself.
Here's the whole document Boatmen's Bank blank shares certificate from the 1890s. (We have the boat vignette on one of the illustration pages.)
I visited what was then the main office in St. Louis during the early 1980's to see Dean Cornwell's huge mural-sized painting "The Race of the ROB'T E. LEE and the NATCHEZ."
The name, date established and address from the Bank Encyclopedia might be enough:
The Boatmen's National Bank of St. Louis
100 North Broadway
St. Louis, MO 63166
Established: October 18, 1847
excerpts from additional information:
FDIC Certificate #: 4564
Closing history: Merger - Without Assistance
The Boatmen's National Bank of St. Louis (#23857)
Federal Reserve ID: 350152
Date Established: October 18, 1847
Commercial bank, national (federal) charter and Fed member, supervised by the Office of the Comptroller of the Currency (OCC)
100 North Broadway
St. Louis, MO 63166
I was fortunate to find this MASTERS license some years ago.
MASTERS licenses were issued to Captains ("Masters of Public Passenger Vessels") on Inland Waterways after they were given examinations by U.S. Inspectors of Steam Vessels.
In the case of Luther W. Rowland he was also a pilot licensed to navigate the Mississippi, Ohio and Tennessee Rivers between Grafton, Illinois, St. Louis, Missouri and Waterloo, Alabama. On the reverse side of the document are notations regarding the renewal of Rowland's licenses for an additional five years.
Partial transcript of the front of the U.S. Inspectors' License to MASTERS:
"This is to certify that Luther W. Rowland has given satisfactory evidence to the undersigned Local Inspectors of Steam Vessels for the District of St. Louis, MO that he is a skillful MASTER of River Steam Vessels, and can be entrusted to perform such duties upon the Waters of the The Western and Southern Rivers and he is hereby Licensed to act as such Master on Steam Vessels for the term of five years from this date.
Given under our hands this twenty fifth day of February, 1900
Archibald Gordon, Inspector of Hulls
- - - (Illegible) - - -, Inspector of Boilers"
Transcript of the reverse side of the license typewritten with signatures:
"Office of Local Inspectors
Rowland, Luther W.
Master & Pilot of River Strs.
February 25, 1905
Surrendered license as Master & Pilot of River steam Vessels, navigating Western & Southern Rivers and First-class pilot navigating the Mississippi, Ohio and Tennessee Rivers between Grafton, ILL., St. Louis, Mo. and Waterloo, Ala. No. 22498, Issue No. 2,3. substituted therefore on February 26, 1910
Charles T. Greenwood
U.S. Local Inspectors of Steam Vessels"
"Passed examination for Color Blindness Sept 17, 1902
Surgeon's Certificate on file in the office of U.S. Local Inspectors in St. Louis, MO as per endorsement upon Pilot Licence No 11738
U.S. Local Inspectors of Steam Vessels
District of St. Louis, MO
Office of Supervising Inspector
Feb 26, 1910
Examined and found to have been issued in proper form. In reviewing all blank spaces should be filled in with black instead of red ink.
Insurance certificate in the MISSISSIPPI & OHIO RIVERS PILOTS' SOCIETY, St. Louis, Missouri issued on the first of April 1899 to Campbell Hunt to benefit his wife Laura in the event of his death. Attested to by PS. Drown and rubber stamped with the signature of Society President Theodore F. Hall. Apparently this was a serious document and not some sort of strange prank as the issuing of the certificate on "April Fool's Day" with the person attesting given as "PS Drown" and not signed on the bottom line by Campbell Hunt himself suggests. Of further interest is mention of the Pilots' Society having been established 10 years earlier under Article 10 of Chapter 42 in "The Revised Statutes of the State of Missouri, 23rd April, 1889.
another rarity from my collection . . .
U.S. INSPECTORS CERTIFICATE TO MATES
ISSUE No. 12
THIS IS TO CERTIFY THAT Deal Tully has given satisfactory evidence to the Local Inspectors of Steam Vessels for the District of Cincinnati that he is a skillful MATE of steam vessels and can be entrusted to perform such duties upon the waters of the Ohio and Mississippi rivers and their tributaries (and is) hereby licensed to act as such Mate . . . for the term of one year from this date the Twenty Seventh day of April 1889.
Henry H. Devenny, Inspector of Hulls
Augustus Moore, Inspector of Boilers
The photos on this page are part of a private collection.
Permission required to use these photos for any commercial purposes.*