Steamboat Photos, Page 19
Here is the second T.P. LEATHERS built in 1891 (the first one built in 1885 goes with the 1888 New Orleans wharf keepers log book).
The attached photo and caption can go into one of the new general photograph pages. It's an excellent picture and worth sharing (from La Crosse collection)
Way's Packet Directory Number 5287 Built in 1891 at Howard Ship Yard in Jeffersonville, Indiana 459 Tons The original price was $42,500 and the home port was New Orleans. This cotton carrier had red smokestacks, as did all of the NATCHEZ side-wheelers, a custom which continued until August, 1898 when her stacks were painted black. Captain T.P. Leathers died while this boat was in operation and command and management went to Captain Bowling Leathers and Captain W.A. Duke.
OWNERS: Captain T.P. Leathers; Captain Bowling Leathers and Captain W.A. Duke OFFICERS & CREW 1900:
Captain Bowling Leathers
T.C. Sachse Perkins Boardman William Penny
James Brady (steward)
James Duke and Mike Cusick (mates)
The T.P. LEATHERS was snagged in June, 1900 at Bougere's Landing about 40 miles above Natchez, Mississippi and lost.
The T.P. LEATHERS was named for Captain Tom P. Leathers who was born in New Orleans on May 24, 1816, died June 13, 1896.
The GENERAL QUITMAN in partnership with John W. Cannon, the NATCHEZ (1853-February 1854), the NATCHEZ (1860-March 1863), T.P. LEATHERS I (1885) and T.P. LEATHERS II (1891). In partnership with Captain Truman C. Holmes, Leathers owned: the PRINCESS, the C.C. JUNIOR, the R.W. McREA and the CAPITOL.
Leathers was master on:
The GENERAL QUITMAN (1868), the MAGENTA (1864), the sidewheel NATCHEZ and the sternwheel NATCHEZ.
In the winter of 1868 he was captain on the BELLE LEE.
A fight regarding the terms of the charter of the BELLE LEE ensued between Captain Leathers and Captain John W. Cannon and from that point on Leathers was regarded as an enemy by Captain Cannon. Leathers held stock in the packet MAGENTA at various times. He was captain of the NATCHEZ when she raced the ROB'T E. LEE in June-July of 1870.
Excellent photo of the W.H. GRAPEVINE from the La Crosse Collection.
Perfect camera angle, focus, contrast and grayscale values.
Wonderful reflection, all together the picture is a "beauty to be prized."
Iron Mountain Railroad; Captain Dos Davis (1903)
Ran on the Missouri and Ohio rivers
Way's Packet Directory Number 5636
Built in 1898 at Mound City, Illinois
Machinery and part of the upper works came from the J.A. WOODSON.
Named for Captain William H. Grapevine, superintendent of Missouri-Pacific's transfer boats.
She was designed to run on the White River in Arkansas to connect with their trains.
After a short time there, she went to the Missouri River and ran St. Louis-Rocheport.
In 1900 she ran excursions at Kansas City under charter to A.F. Baughman.
After being sold to Captain Davis in 1903, she ran Cincinnati-Ironton, Ohio.
During the 1903 flood, she saved the lives of 200 stranded river dwellers and property estimated at two million dollars.
She broke loose in ice at Cincinnati, struck the C. and O. Railroad bridge and sank on December 25, 1903 sank in December 1903.
Her machinery went to the Big Sandy boat ECLIPSE.
Postcard with August 19, 1916 postmark.
The name on the hull below the deck at the bow says SIDNEY, big as life. We've got an old newspaper ad from a Hannibal paper for an excursion for her on one of the new pages.
Note the musician with the big bass drum in the left foreground with some fellows following him up the river banks who are wearing the same uniform, probably band players also.
Four U.S. flags are on flag poles aboard the SIDNEY and at least one flag is being carried ashore among the passengers who may be bound for a picnic at a riverfront park.
It addition to the folks disembarking there are plenty of passengers still on the boat. 'appy 'oliday!
Unusual real photo postcard. Scan came through with warm and cool tones. It's just in from eBay.
Built in 1899 at Dubuque, Iowa for $24,800.
Owned by Mississippi River Commission; USE (1905)
Way's Steam Towboat Directory - T2702;
In October 1901 she burned her cabin and pilot house off at O'Donnell's Landing, Arkansas below Cairo. She was transferred to USE, St. Louis in 1905 and then transferred again to USE (or could that be USACE for the United States Army Corps of Engineers?), Memphis by 1917. In April 1926 she made a trip to St. Paul with five barges loaded with water ballast to test the possibility of an upper Mississippi River extension of the Federal Barge Line. At Island 17 the barges went aground and after they were freed the General Ashburn completed the trip. On August 4, 1929 the WYNOKA hit a rock and sank near the Rock Island bridge. The boat was repaired at Keokuk. She took part in the dedication of the new Peoria, Illinois terminal in June 1931. Sold to the Bissos and renamed BISSO in 1935.
From a friend in Alton, Illinois. The ferry MILL BOY had a rough and ready, home-made quality. Here she is as a "luxurious" excursion boat. The passengers got to use their imaginations.
Written in margin:
"Str. MILL BOY and BARGE #1. Excursion from Washington to Augusta, MO. August 19, 1908"
MILL BOY Sternwheel ferry
Fred Way's Packet Directory Number 3928
Built at Hermann, Missouri in 1893
41 tons. 89.2 x 18.8 x 2.8. Engines, 8" 2 ft. One boiler.
Owned by Frank Blaske and others. Destroyed by ice in winter quarters at the head of the chute opposite South Point, Missouri on the Missouri River, on January 1st, 1910.
C H. HUGO
Way's Packet Directory Number 0763
Sternwheel ferry built New Haven, West Virginia in , 1897
38 tons. 79 x 20 x 4. Engines, 7" 3 ft. One boiler, 50" by 13 feet
Owned 1906 by the West Memphis Ferry Co.
Rebuilt in 1907 after having been caught on a ringbolt during a flood.
Capt. Miles Bridgewater was master at Memphis in 1902.
Off the lists by 1910.
The written caption on the back of this photo differs when it comes to the state and the year that the HUGO was built:
"STR. C.H. HUGO Built by Frank L. Blaske at New Haven, Missouri (on the Missouri River) in 1895."
Written on the back of this photograph:
"Capt. H.C. Blaske"
My best guess for the identity of the steamboat that Cap't Blaske was aboard is the MAJESTIC, which fills the bill in the attached La Crosse photo, with the same unusual styling of the front of the pilot house and the first two visible letters "M" & "A" corresponding as well.
MAJESTIC (Excursion boat, 1915-1922)
Way's Packet Directory Number 3712;
Sternwheel Excursion boat
Built in 1906 at Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Owned by Captain Peters Lee and Captain D. Walter Wisherd
Previously ran under two different names: the S.S. BROWN and the REES LEE
Converted into an excursion boat in 1915 and renamed the MAJESTIC.
On her main deck was a miniature scenic railroad and a merry-go-round.
She ran New Orleans to the upper Mississippi.
Burned in winter quarters on the Illinois River in May, 1922.
After she burned, her hull was converted into a cargo barge and used to haul cotton until she sank
The following news item describes how Captain Blaske salvaged a sunken steamer named JEFFERSON at Alton in 1930 but so far I haven't found any additional background on a boat by that name that sank in 1928.
The ALTON EVENING TELEGRAPH page 5
WEDNESDAY, SEPTEMBER 3,1930
Salvages Engine Of Sunken Boat
Capt. Blaske Takes Advantage of Low Water
The extreme low water In the Mississippi which in some instances this dry season has caused navigating difficulties has worked to the advantage of Captain H. C. Blaske of the Blaske Boat and Barge Co, of this city in that it has made it possible to salvage one of the engines of the old steamer JEFFERSON which was sunk at its moorings below the bridges here two years ago. Captain Blaske purchased the JEFFERSON to dismantle her, and the sinking of the craft caused him little loss other than that he could not recover one of the engines. The boat had tilted as it went down, and the engine on the tipper side was removed without difficulty, but the other could not be reached.
When the Mississippi got to the bottom stage of the season here last Saturday, Captain Blaske decided time was ripe to recover the engine that remained in the hull. Its value was not worth the employment of divers, but with the piece of machinery almost up to the water's surface at Saturday's stage, he contrived a scheme to loosen the engine from its fastenings which worked to perfection, and caused almost no expense. Size of the bolts was determined and then socket wrenches were attached to long rods. These were pushed down into the water, the bolts by which the engine was mounted were loosened, and a derrick boat lifted it out and landed it. He found the engine in good shape and says it can easily be reconditioned and made ready for many more years of useful service.
Attached file scanned from a nice sharp 8 x 10 photo just delivered today . . . there was some information written on the back as to date, location etc. to which I added a brief Wiki paragraph on the Snake River.
The Steamer LEWISTON passing through Bonneville dam locks on the Columbia River en route to Portland, Oregon on March 6, 1940. while it was being brought down for the last time, after having served as the final paddlewheeler to operate on the Snake River.
"At 1,078 miles long, the Snake River is the largest tributary of the Columbia River, which is the largest North American river that empties into the Pacific Ocean. Rising in western Wyoming, the Snake flows through the Snake River Plain of southern Idaho, then through the rugged Hells Canyon area via northeastern Oregon and the rolling Palouse Hills, to reach its mouth near the Washington Tri-Cities area, where it enters the Columbia River."
dramatic hi contrast 8 x 10 press release photo with the following caption on the back:
PORTLAND, Oregonfootnote from
Report of the Chief of Engineers U.S. Army
By United States Army Corps of Engineers
Government Printing Office
excerpted from page 2213:
"The steamboat UMATILLA , which was 50 per cent completed at the beginning of the fiscal year, was finished and accepted from the contractors in the latter part of November. She was at first put to work raking shoals at Biggs Rapids, and on December 23 proceeded to Homly Rapids, 117 miles above Celilo, where she was employed during the rest of the season, when the conditions permitted, blasting rocks, raking shoals, and removing boulders. High water finally put a stop to operations, and she proceeded to Lewiston, where she arrived May 9, and was laid up for the freshet season. The UMATILLA traveled 1,600 miles, acting as tender to scows, making inspection trips, etc."
Left and right halves of a recently obtained original panoramic photo print published by STAR PHOTO of St. LOUIS, MO Copyright 1907
The panorama was taken on October 2nd, 1907 from a high vantage point. Overall size of the print is 9 1/2 X 39 1/2 inches.
The Eads Bridge in the distance on the Mississippi with the steamers ALTON and SPREAD EAGLE are prominently displayed in the left half of the panorama (in the top spot).
The photo below that (the right half of the panorama) includes the steamboat U.S. Inspection steamer MISSISSIPPI which had transported Roosevelt from Keokuk. The MISSISSIPPI is the first boat on the left recognizable from her outsized pilot house, visible on the far side of the Lee Line Wharf Boat.
An honor guard is lined up on either side of the ramp leading from the wharf boat to the levee and a procession of dignitaries probably including President Theodore Roosevelt is filing in single file down the ramp to the levee. About half a dozen fancy horse drawn carriages can be seen on the waterfront who will take the honored guests first to the Jai Alai building where Roosevelt gave a speech, a facsimile of his manuscript is online here: theodorerooseveltcenter.org
"Roosevelt addressed the City of St. Louis advocating the financial benefits of thoughtful transportation development, drawing comparisons to the Suez and Panama Canals. He also discussed the importance of maintaining and developing the Navy."
From the Jai Alai building the guests were taken by carriages to the Jefferson Hotel where luncheon was served. A contemporary newspaper article below gives an account of the lavish hospitality of St. Louis gave Roosevelt that day.
Aspen Daily Times
Published October 3, 1907
President Arrives at St. Louis on River Steamboat
Distinguished Assemblage Greets the Popular Chief Executive
St . Louis , MO.
October 2, 1907
For the first time within the memory of the resent generation a chief executive of the nation today arrived in the Mound city by steamboat and departed from the city in the same manner.
President Theodore Roosevelt on hoard the steamboat MISSISSIPPI from Keokuk , reached St. Louis shortly alter 1 o'clock this morning.
Accompanying him on another craft were the members of the Inland Waterway commission.
The President found St . Louis awaiting his arrival in gala attire.
Steamboats and other craft bedecked with flags filled the river.
Not since the palmy days before the war has St . Louis seen so many steamboats at one time.
They came from Evansville , Cairo, Alton, Kansas City, Keokuk and other river points and bought delegations of business men and others desirous of impressing upon the president and the members of the waterways commission the importance of the river traffic and the urgent necessity for improvements in the Mississippi and its chief tributaries.
As the president's boat came into sight it was greeted with deafening shrieks from the steamboat whistles, which were echoed by the cheers of the thousands of people who lined the river front and occupied positions of vantage on the wharfs and on the two great bridges spanning the Mississippi river.
It was a distinguished assemblage that greeted the president when he landed near the foot of Locust street. Included among those present were the governors of more than twenty states, members of congress, the mayor and other representatives of the city of St . Louis and a reception committee of the Business Men's league, which had the general arrangements in charge .
After the exchange of courtesies the president and his party were taken in carriages to the Jai Alai building , where he delivered his address. The route lay through Washington Avenue, Twelfth Street , Pine Street , Grand Avenue, Lindell Boulevard and other leading thoroughfares.
Flags were flying from every staff in the downtown section and the city was bright with bunting. Pictures of President Roosevelt greeted the eye at every turn.
Crowds lined the streets , anxious to get a glimpse at the chief magistrate and his appearance was always the signal for tumultuous cheers .
After the exercises at the Jai Alai building the president was escorted to the Jefferson hotel where he was entertained at luncheon.
Covers were laid for 400 and among the guests were the visiting governors and numerous other persons of note.
From the hotel the presidential party proceeded at once to to the wharf to re-embark on the Mississippi .
The departure was the signal for another great river demonstration similar to that which had greeted the president's arrival in the morning .
Scores of boats will accompany the president's boat down the river as far as Cairo, which is to be the next stopping point and which city will be reached according to schedule at 9 o'clock tomorrow morning.
It's a "fur piece" to fly up and then to see the MOYIE but Jim says it's well worth the effort. Believe this photo was off "flickr." Nice pristine in white, good as new . . . You may already have the MOYIE's link on your site. klhs.bc.ca The S.S. Moyie sternwheeler is one of the most significant preserved steam passenger vessels in North America. When the Moyie was retired in 1957, after a 59-year career with the Canadian Pacific Railway's BC Lake and River Service, she was the last operating passenger sternwheeler in Canada. She is in a surprisingly complete state for a vessel with such a long service record. The SS Moyie is located in the beautiful town of Kaslo, in the West Kootenay region of British Columbia.
With the exception of images credited to certain institutions,
most of the images on this page are from a private collection.
Please request permission before reproducing our images in any publication.*